Friday, December 18, 2009

Heroic

I'm working on some ideas do draw now, and once I get home, I'm going to watercolor my ass off, but until then, here's an oldie but a goodie.


This was done back in May as a private commission. There were a lot of things learned with it. The piece is done on smooth bristol, 11x17. What the commissioner wanted was a propaganda like piece of a character of hers, so I used Russian constructivist art as a reference for things like the color palette and composition.

The paper was stained with tea before I started coloring, but after I had inked the piece.  I used microns to do the inking to get that crisp, geometric feel of propaganda art.

Mistakes made that I have learned from:
- Treated paper and markers are not friends. It was incredibly difficult to get large spaces of color to be the same even tone.

- I should have used some kind of stencil for the buttons on his coat to all be the same uniform size.

-I'm not really sure how I feel about the white lines to separate the different black shapes. I should have either left them as implied shapes, or left the tea stained paper blank instead of using white. 

-Tape does not always stop marker from bleeding off of a straight line. x_x It can get under there.

Over all though, it was a blast to work on, even if it did murder every color I used on it. x_x I shouldn't have used marker to do flat coloring admittedly, but at the time it was really the only medium I was using.

No comments:

Post a Comment